Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tanzanian Adventures

My 10th month on the World Race was spent in Tanzania.  There were many things I wasn't looking forward to in Tanzania, due to a bad experience by a previous Race team.  But I loved it.  I enjoyed the scenery.  I enjoyed the people.  I enjoyed the food.  It was just overall an enjoyable experience.  Here's a couple things to know about Tanzania.

1. We took a 30 hour bus ride from Jinja, Uganda to Morogoro, Tanzania.  However, after we had entered Tanzania, our bus broke down.  We spent the night on said broken down bus at a restaurant.  49 hours after leaving Jinja, we arrived in Morogoro, tired, but no worse for the wear.



2. Morogoro.  Travel guides say that there is no reason to go to Morogoro unless you like to hike. I enjoyed Morogoro quite a lot.  The scenery was beautiful.  It was cooler because it was a bit in the mountains.  It was typical Africa, but much more spread out and less chaotic than other areas of E. Africa (esp. Kampala Uganda).



3. Safari!  We went through Princess Lodge in Morogoro (probably because it was the first place we found). The safari guide wasn't in, so I got his phone numbers and we left, planning on calling him when we got back to the hotel.  As we're walking in the streets, several hours later, a man on a bike comes up behind us. "Ma'am, excuse me, ma'am!"  I turn around, it's not unusual to have people approach you on the streets.  He says "My name is Andrew, I'm the safari guide!"  How did he know me?  I have no clue. It was odd.  But he was very nice, and wanted us to have a wonderful time, so he made it easy to work with.  He picked us up (a little late...TIA) and we were off.

4.  Mikumi National Park/Reserve.  We drove an hour and half outside Morogoro for our safari. We got there around 7 am, in time for the sunrise and a full day of adventure.  We drove around the park all day, stopping for lunch in Mikumi town.  We saw a TON of zebra, elephant, giraffe, wildebeast, waterbuffalo, warthogs, and we even got to see HIPPOS!  That was an unexpected surprise!  The lions weren't out that day (though we certainly tried), and there weren't rhinos in that park.  Still a great experience that is worth it (wherever you end up going), and I suggest it.

5. Zanzibar.  I've become a beach snob.  I don't necessarily like water, but I have been to some incredible beaches this year!  I realized this as I was sitting on the island of Zanzibar chatting with my friend Stephani about how this beach is beautiful, but I prefer the ones in the Philippines or Thailand better...  WHO HAVE I BECOME!?  The ferry ride was rumored to be only 10,000 tsh, (like no more than $10).  When we arrived with all of our packs, we learned that it would be $30.  Big bummer.  The ferry died twice on the way, and we sat in the middle of the Indian Ocean rocking on this ferry.  I.  Hate.  Boats.  I have been on 18 boats this year, and every time I forget how much I despise them.  The night ferry we took back wasn't any better (though it was cheaper), but many more people got sick.  Zanzibar is beautiful.  

6.  Malindi Guest House in Stone Town, Zanzibar.  We stayed 2 nights in StoneTown and took a taxi to Nungwe beach on one day.  It was a very quaint hotel, we appreciated the room and the private bathroom.  Breakfast was much more than expected and was delicious.  they were very nice, and we felt very safe, even though it's right off of a fish market, which can be seen in the morning from the open air roof.

Maybe one day I'll post more pictures of the Safari and Zanzibar.  But that day is not this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment