Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Nakuru, Kenya


We spent an entire month in Nakuru, Kenya...one of the most beautiful places on earth.  On the ride from Nairobi to Nakuru, we saw herds of zebra, gazelle, a couple baboons, and some flamingos.  You don't see that every day in Nebraska!  Here's a couple things to do if you ever come to Kenya and make it to Nakuru!


What to do in Nakuru (it rhymes if you say it right).
1.    1.   Lake Nakuru National Reserve.  You can see rhinos, flamingoes, lions, giraffes, and other animals.  It’s best to go during rainy season (highly debated), and early in the morning, as to catch the lions before they go up into the trees.   For foreigners it costs US $60 in ordinary season and US $70 in high season.  I’ve heard it’s an amazing experience, and that Kenya is the best place to see most animals…but I got veto’d and didn’t end up getting to go. Bummer.

 2.      2.  Equator!  Being in Kenya is my first experience in the Southern Hemisphere, and I must say, it’s not too different.  However, once we found out that nakuru was located on the equator, we had to go.  I’ve been to the 4 corners.  I’ve been several times in 2 countries, crossing borders.  But this is the NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE!  We got there, took several pictures with the signs, then the woman gave us a demonstration.  (She charged 300 Kenya Shilling).  She poured water from a plastic pitcher into a metal bowl.  The water drained through a hole in the bowl, and she threw a small stick in.  when we were in the northern hemisphere, the stick turned clockwise.  When we crossed over into the southern hemisphere, the stick went counter-clockwise!  And when we were directly on the equator, the stick just stayed still as the water drained!  That myth about the toilets.  It’s true. J




3.      3.  Lord EgertonCastle.  We heard about this from a church member, and only one person really wanted to go.  Attitudes were sour as we drove down a bumpy dirt road in the middle of nowhere.  Then the scenery changed a bit, the trees and bushes were nicer, there were signs saying “Do not pluck the flowers” and we knew we were close.  When we got to the gate, we saw that it was going to be 1000 ksh.  HECK NO were we going to pay over $10 to see some huge house that no one really cared about.  WE drove past the gate, which was unmanned, and our ‘mama’ worked her magic.  We told her we didn’t want to spend that much money to get in.  The guide looks in the car and says “I’ll let you in for 100 ksh a person.”  We were hesitant, wondering what that would include and what hidden charges there may be for us Muzungos.  None appeared though.  We walked through the house, and got up to the rooftop terrace before he caught up to us, introducing us to a man who had worked for Lord Edgarton from 1949 until the Lord’s death in 1958.  It was neat to tour the house again with a man who had worked there in its glory.  I would say it was worth the 100 ksh…but I would have been severely disappointed if I’d paid 1000 ksh.  If you love history and know anything about the family, it’d be interesting…but if you’re just a passersby, consider it. 






Story time.  After the tour, we went out back to find the bathrooms.  They were kinda gross (as most African public bathrooms are), so I opted to just wait.  In the meantime, I walked over to see the ‘animal gallery’ of rabbits and guinea hens, and llamas.  The llamas, it turns out, were loose that day.  As I’m walking towards the gallery, the white llama takes an interest in me, and starts to run towards me.  Naturally, I freak out a little, and thinking that running would only inspire it to run faster, I walked briskly away from it, screeching a bit in terror.  I turned around and he was an arms length away.  It was tempting to try to pet it, but I didn’t know if it would bite me, spit on me, or kick me in the face.  So I turned around and walked quickly back towards the bathroom.  I get back to the girls, and turn around to see it running towards all fo us.  We ALL scream and run to the other side to the men’s toilets.  Julie and Stephani go in the stalls and shut the door leaving Traci and I to fend for ourselves.  A worker came by with a broom and shooed it away so we could leave.  It was a terrifying experience.  Though definitely a memory made.


Raw footage of the Llama attack when he came after all of us.  This is after he came running at me!

No comments:

Post a Comment