Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Years Resolutions

Perhaps they're not necessarily resolutions so much as things I'd like to accomplish this year.

1. Be less selfish and more self-less.  "But you spent most of the last year in third world countries giving, giving, giving..."  Perhaps, but I find it much more difficult to be self-less in America, because selfishness runs rampant.  It's the American culture, and I confess that I am a relatively selfish individual.

2. Run a 5k in December for St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital in Memphis, TN.  I.  Hate.  Running.  Hate it. I wish I liked it.  I wish I enjoyed going out and just running, but I have the endurance of a sloth.  5k is a little over 3 miles.  Right now I can only run 1/4 mile at a time...

3. Make my life meaningful.  I've heard a quote that says "The meaning of life is to give life meaning."  It really is what you make of it.  To start, I applied to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity in Omaha, and starting this spring I will hopefully be able to start constructing houses with them.  Also, after a lot of prayer, decided that I would forego a professional job in order to be able to continue investing in the lives of the students in my church ministry.  Sure, a professional job would pay me more, give me benefits, and experience for future employment...but even when applying for those jobs I felt a piece of my heart die.  So I will find a retail job, likely back at Target if they'll take me, and be able to go on all of the trips and stay involved with the student ministry as much as I can.  So I guess I'll continue to keep my eyes open for opportunities to live a meaningful life.

4. Be more intentional about my time with God.  I can sit in my apartment for hours alone and not even think to study the Bible or spend time in prayer, and then when my apartment is full of people I wish I had quiet time.  Sorry bout that one, God.  I'll do better!

5. Be prepared by January 2013 to open my cafe (divinecafeproject.blogspot.com), have a business plan in hand, and be able to start raising the money.

So that's my

No comments:

Post a Comment