Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I'm Fast(ing)

I don't fast.
Of all the Spiritual Disciplines, this is the one I'm the worst at.
The reason? I like food.  I enjoy eating.

But last week I was struck by the notion that I'm always reachable.  Whether it's Facebook, Twitter, my phone, whatever, you can always reach me!  I'm always online when possible, or listening to music, or texting, or watching TV.  Needless to say, I'm distracted...all the time.

So I decided that my Spiritual life would benefit more from a technology fast than a food fast.  It will free me up to focus my attention elsewhere, on things that really matter.   I picked one day a week, Thursday, to leave my phone, ipods, tv, and computers off for an entire day.  I'm really excited to see what happens on those days.

So, if you want to reach me on Thursdays, call my roommates, or come see me at work!  Join me in a technology fast if you want!  You might be amazed at what you can accomplish when there's so fewer distractions!

On a side note, the day I decided to do this fast, I opened my Bible for my daily reading, and it was Isaiah 58: True Fasting.  Read it.  It's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment