Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cloud of Witnesses

I'm still thinking about the sermon I got to hear this morning...and I don't say that often.  So I thought I'd share.

The speaker spoke on Hebrews 12:1-2.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.  For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

He spoke about the men and women who came before him, some names he knew, many he didn't, and how each of them, in their faith, paved the way for him to grow in his relationship with Christ.  He challenged us to consider who we have in our lives that would be considered part of this great cloud of witnesses, past and present individuals.  He then challenged us to think about whose cloud WE are going to be in, and challenged us to live our lives and do great things so others can know Christ...not so that we're known.

He moves on, and told us of ancient Rome, with the stadiums and colloseums.  He told us that the races began in the stadiums, and then the runners were sent out of the stadium, and into the city/rural area.  Hours upon hours they ran, and at the end of the race, only 1/4 of the runners returned to the stadium for the final laps.  By this time, the runners who had made it this far were close to done.  They were stumbling, falling, wanting to give up.  But in these stadiums, there was a ring around the floor that was reserved seating.  It was reserved for past champions.  Everyone who finished the race was crowned a champion.  And so all of these people who had finished the race before were there, closest to the runners, cheering them on, encouraging them to get up and keep on with their race, that they were so close to being finished.  It is said that they called that ring where the champions sat the "cloud."

Now, I haven't researched this, and I'll probably do that sometime, but wow.  Just wow.  I feel like the imagery of past champions of the faith cheering me on in my daily struggles, and my daily "race" is just so powerful.  That people like Moses and Abraham, and Isaac and Jesus are sitting there, having completed the race, encouraging me to keep going, to not give up, to finish my race.

That...is pretty cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment