Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Poor Livin'

I had no job in January and February.  I had no income.

I went on a ski trip.

I bought new clothes.

I ate out a lot.

I went to a Broadway production of Lion King

Basically, I did NOT live like I was unemployed WHILE I was unemployed.  And my bank account took a beating.  Towards the end of last month it finally hit me how stupid I had been financially.  I decided that I would "live like I'm legitimately poor" for at least one whole month to try to replenish my bank account.  It's been an experience for sure.

So for the past two weeks, this has been my strategy:
I don't eat out unless someone else is paying...but I'm EXTREMELY grateful for those who do pay for me.  But that means I haven't had Chick-Fil-A in 2 weeks... :(

I pack my lunch for work, along with snacks. I dig out 3 quarters from my change jar to buy a soda while I'm on my long shifts.

I plan my trips and get as much done while I'm out as I can to save gas.

I haven't been to Target since I started this new budget.

I use a small amount of cash for small purchases, trying not to use my debit card as much as possible (side note: to waive the fee for my checking account, I need to use my card ten times a month...I'll be going through self checkout today at Walmart, using my card for 10 separate transactions.)

I take my own coffee when I meet friends for coffee.

And while it's limiting, it's also liberating.  I'm more aware of where my money is going.  Filling up my tank is a bit painful-so I drive less.  I believe I've convinced myself to continue with this budget longer than my month...because it's probably the best way to live in an economy that could go bust any minute.

God provides me with a job, and a paycheck.  He provides me with enough money to pay my bills.  He is good, and always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment